My Baked Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe is the perfect no-guilt appetizer or side dish for anyone craving a classic Southern dish. Perfectly sliced green tomatoes are coated in a seasoned crunchy coating that will give you all of the crispiness you remember in the traditional deep fat fried version.
If you are looking for healthier versions of traditionally fried foods, then you will also love my baked mozzarella sticks recipe.
Baked Fried Green Tomatoes
When green tomatoes are on the vine, there is nothing I crave more than a big plate of crunchy fried green tomato. While I have made a more traditional version that is pan-fried, my goal was to find a way to get that same juicy inside and crispy outside without the calories. This was the result that satisfies all of my cravings while fitting into my meal plan.
To make this recipe, you’ll be using large slices of green tomato and a nice spice blend that packs just enough heat to alert your tastebuds without being overpowering.
Do I Need a Dipping Sauce for Fried Green Tomatoes?
In most Southern households, a fried green tomato needs nothing more than a willing person to devour its goodness. However, when you find these served in restaurants, there is almost always a dipping sauce included.
Most commonly, you will find a creamy dressing or one with a hint of spice. My recommendation is to use my Greek yogurt Ranch dressing recipe. If you like the added spice, add a few drops of sriracha or another hot sauce to the recipe and mix well before serving.
Can I Make These in an Air Fryer?
Yes! While this recipe is made for the oven, if you have an air fryer you can definitely make them there. Just make sure you place them in a single layer on your basket so all sides get plenty of airflow to crisp the coating.
Set your air fryer to the highest heat setting and cook for 10-12 minutes or until desired crispness has been reached.
- green tomatoes
- low-fat buttermilk
- hot sauce
- panko bread crumbs
- ground flax meal
- reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
- cayenne pepper
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- black pepper
How to Make Baked Fried Green Tomatoes
Preheat the oven to 400°F and lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray, or parchment paper, and set aside.
Slice the green tomatoes into twelve ¼-inch to ½-inch slices.
Set up two shallow bowls.
Fill one bowl with the buttermilk and hot sauce.
In the other bowl, combine panko, flax, Parmesan, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper, and mix together.
Dip each tomato slice in the buttermilk mixture, allow the excess to drip off and then transfer to the Panko mixture and lightly press breadcrumbs on the tomato on both sides.
Arrange tomato slices in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Healthy Baked Fried Green Tomatoes
- 1½ pounds green tomatoes about 3 large green tomatoes
- ⅓ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup ground flax meal
- ¼ cup reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F and lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Slice the tomatoes into twelve ¼-inch to ½-inch slices.
- Set up two shallow bowls. Fill one bowl with the buttermilk and hot sauce. In the other bowl, combine panko, flax, Parmesan, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper, and mix together.
- Dip each tomato slice in the buttermilk mixture, allow the excess to drip off and then transfer to the Panko mixture and lightly press breadcrumbs on the tomato on both sides.
- Arrange tomato slices in a single layer on baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through.