Looking for an Easy Light Alfredo Sauce recipe? When you taste how delicious light alfredo sauce recipe is, you are going to want to put it on everything. When you want all the flavor of Olive Garden Alfredo sauce, but you don’t want to ruin your diet, this is the one you want.
Alfredo is a classic dish that tastes amazing, but is known to be a healthy diet breaker. While I love the taste of alfredo sauce, I wanted to have a light alfredo sauce. By using healthier ingredients, this easy light alfredo sauce will taste just like the heavier version, but you can eat it more often. Check out this Lighter Spinach Pasta to go with this delicious sauce.
How do you make the perfect alfredo sauce?
In order to make the perfect alfredo sauce, the sauce will have milk, cream cheese and a good quality parmesan cheese. These three ingredients make the perfect sauce. If you like a perfectly creamy sauce, be sure to mince the shallots very small or use an immersion blender in order the combine the shallots into the sauce.
Is there a healthy alfredo sauce?
While traditional alfredo sauce, like Olive Garden Alfredo sauce, is full of fat and calories. It is not something that would be considered healthy or something that should be eaten often when eating healthy. This alfredo sauce is not filled with a lot of fat and calories. Since it uses white whole wheat flour, skim milk and low fat cream cheese, this easy alfredo recipe is actually a light alfredo recipe and can be part of a healthy eating plan. It comes in at only 3 Weight Watchers Points.
Variations to a Easy Light Alfredo Sauce
The key to any recipe is being able to change the recipe to meet everyone’s taste buds. When changing this recipe for easy alfredo sauce, consider:
- Garlic. You can easily add more garlic, or even garlic powder to this alfredo sauce.
- Replace the shallots. You can change the shallots out for onion powder.
Ingredients to make Easy Light Alfredo Sauce at home
- unsalted butter
- white whole wheat flour
- skim milk
- ⅓-less-fat cream cheese
- Parmesan cheese
How to Make Easy Light Alfredo Sauce
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and cook the shallots and garlic until the shallots are soft and the garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for about 30 seconds, until the butter, shallots, and garlic become a thick paste. Whisk in the milk and continue whisking for about 2 minutes, until the milk begins to thicken. Stir in the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, and salt and stir until the cheeses melt, for about 2 minutes.
Easy Light Alfredo Sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon shallot finely minced
- 1 tablespoon white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 ounces ⅓-less-fat cream cheese
- ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and cook the shallots and garlic until the shallots are soft and the garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for about 30 seconds, until the butter, shallots, and garlic become a thick paste.
- Whisk in the milk and continue whisking for about 2 minutes, until the milk begins to thicken.
- Stir in the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, and salt and stir until the cheeses melt, for about 2 minutes.
- It's best to serve this sauce immediately after making it. If you do choose to refrigerate it, it will solidify. However, you can reheat it in a sauce pan and melt it back down into sauce form.
- For the smoothest texture, you can even blend the sauce in a blender after cooking it if you want to ensure no whole pieces of shallot to be present. Otherwise, be sure to do a very fine mince.
- It's pictured over 12 ounces of whole-wheat pasta, but there are tons of other options as well. Check out my Creamy Mac and Alfredo recipe or my Chicken Alfredo Pizza recipe!