Cheese lovers, rejoice! This Simple Healthy Queso recipe is the answer to your weight loss prayers! By combining cornstarch, almond milk, tomatoes, cheese and all kinds of yummy ingredients we get a warm, delicious and healthy queso recipe. A quarter-cup of this goodness clocks in at only 53 calories and 3 grams of fat!
Add to the cheese fun with some of my other appetizers like Healthy Mozzarella Bites.
Serve this queso with your favorite tortilla chips or veggies.
If you can handle the heat, stay in the kitchen and add an optional 1 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce! We promise you won’t regret it.
If the queso gets too thick as it sits, stir in more almond milk over low heat to thin it out.
Why were cheeses invented?
Cheese is an ancient food whose origins predate recorded history. The origin of cheesemaking likely traces to around 8000 BCE, when sheep were first domesticated. Cheese is valued for its portability, and long life. Cheese is more compact and has a longer shelf life than milk. The long storage life of some cheeses, especially when encased in a protective rind, allows selling when markets are favorable. None of these long lasting qualities apply to this Healthy and Easy Queso – as it is unlikely to last very long when you share it with your hungry masses!
What you will need to make Healthy and Easy Queso ?
- extra virgin olive oil
- minced garlic
- unsweetened almond milk
- diced tomatoes with green chilies
- white whole wheat flour
- chili powder
- onion powder
- black pepper
- shredded reduced-fat mild cheddar cheese
How you make Healthy and Easy Queso ?
Heat a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the oil and garlic and cook until the garlic is beginning to brown but not burning, about 1 minute.
Stir the cornstarch into ¼ cup of the almond milk to make a slurry and set aside.
Add the drained can of tomatoes and cook an additional 2 minutes until they are heated. Sprinkle the flour over the tomatoes and stir for 1 minute.
Turn the heat up to medium-high and stir in the remaining almond milk and the previously set-aside slurry. Stir consistently for 2-4 minutes, until thickened.
Turn the heat down to low and stir in the cumin, chili powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and cheddar cheese. Stir queso until smooth.
Healthy and Easy Queso
- ½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1 tablespoon white whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mild cheddar cheese
- Serve this queso with your favorite tortilla chips or veggies.
- If you can handle the heat, stay in the kitchen and add an optional 1 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce! We promise you won't regret it.
- If the queso gets too thick as it sits, stir in more almond milk over low heat to thin it out.